Friday, November 07, 2014

More upcoming talks

I seem to have scheduled a fairly busy sabbatical semester for myself.

Next week I'm going to the National Tax Association Annual Meeting in Santa Fe.  For the first and only time, I'll be giving a talk on another of my currently-in-press articles, Multiple Myopia, Multiple Selves, and the Under-Saving Problem.  This piece, forthcoming as the anchor article in an issue of the Connecticut Law Review article that will also feature several responses by other people, discusses the behavioral economics literature in relation to income tax "incentives" for retirement, nudges and their implications for the income tax vs. consumption tax debate, Social Security design, etc.  It's far less an advocacy piece than a "look how little we know" piece.  I will post my slides for the talk here after the session.

(My other two articles currently in press are the Piketty paper, forthcoming in the Tax Law Review, and the short corporate tax reform paper that I gave in Boston recently.  You can see slides for the latter piece here, and it will be appearing in Tax Notes sometime this December, but I won't be posting it on SSRN until then.)

While at NTA, I'll also be the commentator on an interesting tax incidence article by USC economists Richard Green and Mark Philips.  My comments will just be short - the slot I have is just 5 minutes - but I'll probably post them here as well afterwards.

The following week, I'll be giving another talk on the Piketty paper, this time at USC Law School.

Then I suppose that's it for the year, non-business travel aside.

In January (words that I dread typing, because it makes me think about polar vortices), I will be co-teaching the NYU Tax Policy Colloquium for the 20th (!) time.  My economist colleague will be Alan Viard, whom I look forward to working with for the first time,  The schedule isn't yet up on the NYU webpage, but you can see the dates and speakers (although not as yet the paper titles) here.  The sessions will be on Tuesdays from 4-6 pm, from late January through early May.  The overall balance will be more towards lawyers and legal topics, and less towards economists and true econ papers, than was the case last year - reflecting my sense that, from a proper institutional standpoint, we tilted a hair too much the other way last time around.

No comments: