Friday, October 19, 2007

Strange alliance

Although obviously I am no fan of the Christian right, I must say I am encouraged by recent talk (to the extent one believes it) that they will take major steps to block Giuliani's candidacy. I don't know anyone in New York who doesn't regard the prospect of his becoming President with a mixture of astonishment and trepidation. This includes people (such as me) who believe he was in many respects a successful mayor.

As a Presidential candidate, Giuliani stands for two things: war and dictatorship. In a mayor, such inclinations don't matter so much. As President, they would go well beyond making him the living embodiment of the Peter Principle. Anyone who can block him, on any grounds, is doing a good thing whether or not for the right reasons.

No comments: